SAPs are developed through partnerships with trade associations, federations and employers in specialist sectors. These apprentice programmes contain all the ingredients for a fully validated apprentice programme leading to a Vocational Qualification (NVQ/SVQ). These new entrant programmes are currently the only source of CITB grant recognised new entrant training for the sectors involved. New entrants must have a full-time contract of direct employment with a levy registered employer.
Grant support is paid for SAPs which are now 18-month courses comprising a number of modules leading to the NVQ Level 2
The grant package comprises 3 elements:
£30, £70 or £120 for each training module achieved is paid to the CITB registered and in scope company automatically on confirmation of completion by the training provider. The total value of the modules – £750
£600 is paid to the company on completion of the NVQ assessment and certification
A contribution of £4,000 per learner to cover course costs is paid directly to the training provider OFTF who pay the tutors, assessors, verifiers, venues and materials and associated trainers.
Basic ground rules
- The new entrant must have a full-time contract of direct employment with Levy registered employer
- Grant not available to sub-contract labour (even if mentioned on Levy Return) or self-employed
- The learner must not have been on another CITB grant assisted Apprenticeship at the same VQ level
- Open to both trade association members and non-members
- No upper age restriction – 16+ but employer preference tends to be 18+
- The new entrant must attend all off job modules for the employer to qualify for the ‘framework achievement’ element of the grant
- Must apply for and obtain a CSCS Trainee Card during the first month of training
- The employer must provide on job supervised training to at least twice the number of off-job days – to be recorded in the learner’s logbook.
Who can be a SAP level 2 SAP learner?
- New entrant to the sector (might already have a VQ in another suite of occupations but have not been on a grant-aided Apprenticeship before
– i.e. career changer). Consider SUP first if available for the occupation
- New entrant – possibly employed for up to 12 months in the sector but has had no formal training and has not been registered for an NVQ in the occupation
- New entrant – someone moving either from within the employer’s company or externally from a different post to become an operative. e.g. from store person to operative or a genuine upskilling/promotional route from labourer to skilled operative- career developer.
There is a cost to employers for both the training and assessment, payable to the partner training provider, OFTF
The cost of the 25 day SAP programme over 12 months of training and the 6-month assessment is £5,000. CITB make a contribution of £4,000 to the training provider and the remaining £1,000 will be invoiced by OFTF to the company.
OFTF will plan to deliver the programme in 5 one week training sessions. After the second OFTF will invoice the company for £500, then at the end of the 5th week, OFTF will invoice the final £500. This will be effectively covered by the CITB grant to the company which is £1,350 payable after completion of modules.
In the case of a CF member or company not registered with the CITB, the process of training and assessment is the same and the cost to the individual or company is £5,000 paid in £1k instalments. The first instalment will be due on registration and quarterly thereafter. Each year there are a number of CF members who choose this route successfully.
The Oak Frame Training Forum
OFTF Training Centre, Brickyardwood Barns, Chelvey, Near Bristol, BS48 4Ab
Training Officer – Nigel Howe 07899 794125